Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hundred Acres- cute place, average food


Though recently opened, it's easy to walk by the classy, old school Greenwich Village exterior of Five Point's and Cookshop's newest cousin. The inside of Hundred Acres gives the same feeling, except for about a dozen photographs of the inside of a deserted farmhouse (which I found to be a bit gloomy). Maybe it was my fault for going on Vday (stereotypically the worst night for restaurant service), but minus the rushed service, I'd only order 2 of the 4 dishes again. I wanted to have the calamari as an appetizer, but by 8 o'clock, they had run out of squid so we had to settle for the special, shrimp and grits. Expecting a bit of Bourbon St spice, the flavor was as dull as the barnyard photographs in front of me. Being it was Vday, we also ordered oysters on the half shell. They would have been fine if it had been Passover, since that they only gave us a white horseradish dipping sauce, instead of the usual alternative of a tomato based sauce. For the main course, we had the grass-fed bottom round steak (whatever that means), which I must say, was excellente, even with the lingering taste of horseradish in my mouth. For dessert, we had an apple tart a la mode that almost made up for the disappointing appetizers.

No comments:

Post a Comment