Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Ashbys- work lunch in Chelsea

Love at first bite. It may just be me, but I have an immediate respect for places that make 8 or more homemade soups each day, particularly the ones that let you taste their array before you buy.

Though I am a longtime fan of Union Square's Cafe Medina, Ashby's is just a little closer to work (22nd and 6th), cheaper, and possibly, faster too.

Somehow the catering/cafe managed to squeeze a juice bar, a salad bar, a sandwich spread, and an array of soups into what must be a 200 sq ft space. There is nowhere to sit, so line up, order and get out. The sandwiches look a bit uninspiring, but the store is clean, prices are fair, service is nice, and all ingredients are listed in detail on the backs of each food label.

Their salty chicken noodle soup ($4.25 for a large) was so tasty that I even detoured from my original path to Eisenberg's Diner on 5th ave for their matzoh ball soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment