Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tacos Matamoros--Brooklyn/Sunset Park


Tacos Matamoros
4508 5th Ave
(between 45th St & 46th St)
Brooklyn, NY 11220

Last night I went with several friends to Tacos Matamoros. It was at the suggestion of our friend Jongre, who is a chef and therefore more of a food connoisseur than myself.
Coming from work in mid manhattan, it was an hour trek to get there. I would still say it was worth it but only on occasion.

First of all, it was cheap- not only for the food but the restaurant is also BYOB. And cheap=good for me right now. The tacos were $1.25-$1.75 a taco. The beef nachos were about $5. I was able to be full off two small tacos and the nachos. The guys in the group ate 7-9 tacos each and some flautas.

Second, the place was clean and quaint. Nothing fancy. Mexican soap operas (with no sound) were playing on 2 televisions in the restaurant. We weren't the only gringos in the place, but close to it.

We sat down with our 2 six packs of negra modelo and prepared to stuff our faces with awesome authentic mexican tacos- per the reputation of the restaurant. The adventurous ones in the group got tacos with meat I wouldn't touch: things like tendons and cheeks. I will report that they seemed very happy with their tacos. On the safer side, I got 1 el pastor taco and 1 chorizo taco along with a "safety" of beef nachos. In addition, I ordered my favorite food in the world: guacamole.

The tacos: I do not know if the pineapple was left out of the el pastor taco or if it was too little to notice- but it was still good. The chorizo taco was good as well- but the meat was not as tasty as the el pastor. The beef nachos were exactly what i signed up for: safe and good enough. The guac. was good but not the best i have ever had.

General rating: It was good and worth the trip. But I now realize that I am not the best person to be rating this restaurant anyway. I am a texan that was raised on tex-mex. And I love tex-mex. So, even if I knew I was getting authentic mexican- that of which is regarded so much higher than tex-mex- I still can't help it- what I really wanted was tex-mex.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting, i added a pic of the chicharron, chorizo and steak and tacos

    ReplyDelete