Thursday, March 12, 2009

Downtown Bakery- East Village

I could live without chicken, but not without tamales smothered in chipotle sauce.

While in truth I was too intimidated by the cracked window and graffiti covered tables to try Downtown Bakery the first year I lived in the East Village, after I finally tried my first burrito I was hooked. I now eat there at least once every seven to nine days. They know me by name, by address, and have been known to identify me by my order when I call on the phone.

My two favorite things at Downtown Bakery are the rice and bean burrito con todo, and the slightly dry chicken tamales paired with homemade chipotle sauce, closely followed by the chipotle chicken burrito, the bean and cheese tacos, the chicken fajita platter (feeds 2.5ppl!), and the pollo desmenuzado platter. Even their shrimp are surprisingly good given the sketchiness of the locale. The only thing I would suggest avoiding is the veggie tamales, unless you like green peppers, a lot.



Photo credit Food_in_mouth: http://www.flickr.com/photos/foodinmouth/2070100891/

No comments:

Post a Comment